The Sutter Club was founded in January 1889 after months of discussion and planning by the city’s commercial, agricultural, governmental and social leaders. Nineteen months later the first rooms of the Sutter Club were formally opened in the California State Bank at Fourth and J Streets.
Among the original founders were the original "Forty Niners" men who had come west to seek their fortunes in the gold fields. Their children, first generation Californians, comprised the rest of the founding group. The Club was home there for nearly 40 years.
Many of the city’s leading businesses and legal firms were started by Members of the Sutter Club and have contributed two, three or four generations of members. Most of California’s Governors have belonged to the Club. Chief Justice Earl Warren and Justice Kennedy were also include in our roster of members.
In 1930 the present home of the Club was completed and opened for occupancy. During the 1930s and well in the 1970s the Sutter Club was the social hub of Sacramento. Over the last quarter century many other facilities have come onto the scene to share the tremendous growth of social and charitable activities as Sacramento grew into a major metropolitan area.
Throughout its history, The Sutter Club and its Members have enjoyed a prominent place in the social and cultural life of Sacramento. Well into its second century, the Club continues to cultivate a dynamic membership of outstanding citizens, accomplished professionals and community leaders. It stands strong today and looks to a bright future as rich and storied as its past.
Where Everything Is
Tailored to Perfection