The Sutter Club continues to change with the times, and honors many of our longstanding and valued traditions. To achieve a perfect balance between the two ideals we expect guests to exercise good discretion for the variety of occasions you may attend.
Business attire at The Sutter Club is always encouraged. Members and their guests inappropriately dressed will not be allowed to remain in the Club.
The Sutter Club attire is defined as:
• Formal Attire = Black tie; comparable attire for women
• Business Attire = Coat and tie; comparable attire for women
• Business Casual = Coat mandatory tie optional; comparable attire for women
• Relaxed Attire = Collared shirt, slacks or khakis; comparable attire for women
Jeans are not permitted for any occasion
• Not Permitted = Jeans, denim, shorts, T-shirts, halter tops, tank tops, spandex pants, tops exposing midriff, cargo pants, sweat clothes including hooded sweatshirts and flip flop sandals.
As with our Dress Code, there are traditions that make The Sutter Club a special place to visit and to be a part of. One of those is limiting cell phone use. Using a cell phone to place or receive a call or to retrieve voicemail messages is prohibited in the Club's common areas. Common areas include the 9th Street entry, lobby, Tap Room, Club Room, Grill Room, Library, Card Room, bathrooms, stairways, hallways, elevators, patio next to the California Room and patio outside the Library and Grill Room. All persons using the Club are required before entering the Club to place their cell phones on silent mode so no audible ringtones can be heard. Cell phone calls may be made in one of the Club's four phone booths on the first floor or in privately reserved rooms on the mezzanine level and third floor.
Use of a cell phone for texting, emailing and calendaring is allowed in the common areas of the Club provided such use is kept to a minimum and does not impair the quiet enjoyment of common areas by other members and their guests. Use of iPads, Kindles, laptops and other similar personal electronic devises is prohibited in the common areas of the Club, but may be used in privately-reserved rooms on the mezzanine level and third floor.